Kawasaki Z400 now available | Manufacture News | News
The latest addition to Kawasaki’s Z Series, the Z400 was designed to be a real Supernaked machine. Developed in parallel with the 2018 Ninja 400, like its Ninja counterpart the new Z400 offers significantly improved performance care of all-new high-performance engine and chassis. Keeping sugomi performance in mind, both engine and chassis tuning were optimised for a Supernaked package. Compared to the Z300 the new Z400 offers lighter handling and stronger low-end feeling – a rider friendly combination ideal for fun, nimble street riding.Matching its exciting performance, the Z400 is clad in aggressive new styling. Inspired by the sugomi styling of the flagship Z models, all-new bodywork blends the designs of the Z650 and Z300 to deliver an aggressive, agile, masculine impression.
The new Z400 combines the sharp, aggressive style of the Z650 with the large-volume design of the Z300 to create an aggressive, agile, masculine impression. Its muscular, athletic bodywork reflects the increased performance while forming a flowing design that appears to float above the engine. Like other models in the Z Series, sugomi design elements (crouching stance, low-positioned head and upswept tail) give it a silhouette instantly recognisable as a Kawasaki Supernaked.
FUEL INJECTED 399 CM³ PARALLEL TWIN ENGINE
Displacing 399 cm³, the new engine delivers significantly increased performance compared to its predecessor: 33.4 kW for the Z400 (+4.4 kW vs the 2018 Z300). The higher performance can largely be credited to the new downdraft intake, which is accompanied by a larger airbox offering increased intake efficiency. The increased performance is complemented by a rider-friendly character; the smooth response and abundant low-end torque facilitate throttle control for new and experienced riders alike.
ASSIST & SLIPPER CLUTCH
More compact Assist A & Slipper Clutch (ø139 mm >> ø125 mm) with less rigid operating plates offers a 20% lighter lever pull. Complementing the extremely light feel at the lever, the new clutch has a wider engagement range, facilitating control. The Assist & Slipper Clutch was developed based on feedback from racing activities. The clutch uses two types of cams (an assist cam and a slipper cam), offering two functions not available on a standard clutch.
LIGHTWEIGHT TRELLIS FRAME
The Z400 features a trellis frame similar in design to that of the Ninja H2. Kawasaki’s advanced dynamic rigidity analysis was used to ensure optimum rigidity with light weight. The engine is rigid-mounted and used as a stressed member. The new frame design contributes significantly to the bike’s low curb mass.
INNOVATIVE KAWASAKI TECHNOLOGY
Innovative Kawasaki technology like the new radiator fan cover (patent pending) located behind the radiator directs hot air out to the sides away from the rider, reducing rider discomfort when stuck in heavy traffic. Redirecting the air also helps keep the tank, frame and other parts that contact the rider cooler, further increasing rider comfort.
- 399cc Parallel Twin that offers a powerful, rider friendly engine.
- Lightweight Trellis Frame, based on the Ninja 400; stable and manoeuvrable.
- Large Brake Disc (310mm) combines with ABS as standard.
- Twin LED headlamps for sharp looks and superb brightness at low and high beam.
- Stylish 5-spoke wheels with lateral rigidity to benefit handling stability.
- Ergonomics – a relaxed rider triangle to put the rider in control and keep them comfortable.
- Head-Turning looks that take aggressive new styling cues from the Z650 and Z900.
- High-Grade Cockpit with analogue tachometer, warning lamps, gear position indicator in a multi-function LCD screen.
- Assist and Slipper Clutch for a much lighter feel at the lever and back-torque limiting function
- The Z400 is now available for sale in Australia.
- Fun to Ride and Easy to Ride
- TWO COLOURS AVAILABLE:
- CANDY LIME GREEN with Metallic Spark Black
- CANDY CARDINAL RED with Metallic Flat Spark Black
RRP – $6,299 + on-road costs