Cru Halliday (Yamaha Racing Team, YZF-R6) has sent an ominous message to the Kawasaki Supersport class at Round 2 of the Yamaha Motor Finance Australian Superbike Championship presented by Motul Pirelli (ASBK), qualifying fastest with a 59.216, ahead of Sunday’s racing.
Halliday has backed up his efforts from Friday’s practice to secure himself pole position in the Kawasaki Supersport class. He will be looking to collect his first win of the 2018 season, after three second place finishes at ‘The Island’.
“Hopefully I can get away clean and focus on reeling off consistent lap times, and hopefully the race comes to me. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens. Hats off to the guys at Yamaha Racing Team and everyone at Yamaha Motor Australia. It’s fantastic to be able to reward everyone involved with this pole position. Let’s hope we can convert it into a few race wins now!” Halliday finished.
Lachlan Epis (ResponseRE, Kawasaki ZX-6R) is back on home soil and looking fast, finishing today’s qualifying session in second position with a time of 59.815.
Goulburn local and Kawasaki Supersport Championship point’s leader Tom Toparis (Cube Racing, Kawasaki ZX-6R) will start from third position on Sunday, but that wont phase Toparis as he claimed all three wins at Round 1 from fifth on the grid.
Broc Pearson (Yamaha Motors Australia, YZF-R6) has set himself for a good weekend, finishing qualifying in fourth position, whilst New Zealand’s Damon Rees (Carl Cox M-sports, Honda CBR600RR) rounded out the top five, with a time of 1:00.265 and looks to push for a podium position on Sunday.
The Kawasaki Supersport top four were all with in one second of each other, the scene is set for some excellent racing on Sunday at Wakefield Park Raceway. The racing kicks off at 10am for race one and race two will be at 2:25pm.
Top Ten Kawasaki Supersport Provisional Saturday Qualyfying Results
1. Cru HALLIDAY (Yamaha Racing Team, YZF- R6) 59.216
2. Lachlan Epis (ResponseRE, Kawasaki ZX-6R) 59.815
3. Tom TOPARIS (Cube Racing, Kawasaki ZX-6R) 59.918
4. Broc PEARSON (Yamaha Motors Australia, YZF-R6) 59.918
5. Damon REES (Carl Cox M-sports, Honda CBR600RR) 1:00.265
6. Giuseppe SCARCELLA (BCperformance Jnr Team, Kawasaki ZX-6R) 1:00.460
7. Jordan CARLSSON (Cini Fences, Yamaha YZF-R6) 1:00.635
8. Nic LIMINTON (LDA Racing, Yamaha YZF- R6) 1:00.752
9. Zachary JOHNSON (Rebulider, Yamaha YZF-R6) 1:00.926
10. Rhys BELLING (LXI Racing, Yamaha YZF-R6) 1:01.022
Photos Andrew Gosling TBG Sport