Briton finishes Losail test at the top of the times from the Swiss rider and Gardner
Sam Lowes has laid down the gauntlet ahead of the opening race weekend of the season after ending the Moto2 Qatar Test quickest, his 1:58.439 on the final day enough to beat second place Tom Luthi (Dynavolt Intact GP) by 0.224 seconds.
The entire top ten on the combined standings set their quickest laps on Day 3 at the Losail International Circuit, with Lowes’ time quick enough to put him on pole for the MotoGP race that took place at the venue in 2004.
The aforementioned Luthi was the British rider’s closest rival in second, with Remy Gardner (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) continuing his impressive preseason speed with third at the Qatar Test, 0.316 off P1. Fourth went the way of Augusto Fernandez (Flexbox HP40), his 1:58.775 leaving him just 0.002 two from Gardner, with Marcel Schrötter (Dynavolt Intact GP) just another 0.030 back in fifth.
EG 0,0 Marc VDS’ Xavi Vierge ends the three-day test in sixth, just ahead of Jorge Navarro (+Ego Speed Up) and Alex Marquez (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) as the two Spaniards occupy seventh and eighth respectively. Ninth goes to Luca Marini (SKY Racing Team VR46), his 1:58.980 putting him 0.541 off Lowes, with Day 1’s fastest rider Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Ajo) completing the top ten.
Top 10 on Day 3:
1. Sam Lowes – (Federal Oil Gresini Moto2) 1:58.439
2. Tom Luthi – (Dynavolt Intact GP) +0.224
3. Remy Gardner – (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) +0.316
4. Augusto Fernández – (FlexBox HP40) +0.318
5. Marcel Schrötter – (Dynavolt Intact GP) +0.348
6. Xavi Vierge – (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) +0.441
7. Jorge Navarro – (+Ego Speed Up) +0.484
8. Alex Marquez – (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) +0.509
9. Luca Marini – (Sky Racing VR46 Team) +0.541
10. Brad Binder – (Red Bull KTM Ajo) +0.560