YMI Superbike class rider, Wayne Maxwell (Yamaha Racing Team, YZF-R1M) smashed the lap record, to go fastest for Friday’s practice sessions at Round 2 Wakefield Park Raceway. The Yamaha Racing Team rider stating his intent to challenge for victories at the Yamaha Motor Finance Australian Superbike Championship presented by Motul Pirelli (ASBK).
There was plenty of interest to see which of the frontrunners would stand out from the rest ahead of the critical qualifying sessions on Saturday. Maxwell’s most impressive time was a 57.182, which was registered in the third practice session today.
Maxwell won’t be without significant pressure, as there are plenty of impressive times being showcased throughout the day. With many championship points to play for, setting the fastest time on Friday is a great way to start the weekend.
Hometown hero, Troy Herfoss (Penrite Honda Racing, Honda CBR1000SP) posted the second fastest time on the timesheets, with a rapid 57.679. Given how strong he was here last year, he will be strong contender for the wins on Sunday.
With an encouraging time of 57.822, don’t count out birthday boy Daniel Falzon (Yamaha Racing Team, Yamaha YZF-R1M) who finished off the day just behind second place getter Herfoss with a 57.822.
Yet another dark horse for the win could come in the form of three time World Superbike Champion Troy Bayliss (Desmosport Ducati, Ducati Panigale FE) who is hot on the heels of the front three, with his lap time of 57.822.
Completing the top five was the 2017 YMI Superbike Champion Josh Waters (Team Suzuki ECSTAR, Suzuki GSXR-R1000R) with a 57.984.
The action gets back underway tomorrow with qualifying for the YMI Superbike class. Q1 takes place at 11:10am and Q2 at 15:15pm. The victory is all up for grabs!
Top Ten YMI Superbike Provisional Friday Practice Results
1. Wayne MAXWELL (Yamaha Racing Team, YZF-R1M) 57.182
2. Troy HERFOSS (Penrite Honda Racing, CBR1000SP) 57.679
3. Daniel FALZON (Yamaha Racing Team, YZF-R1M) 57.822
4. Troy BAYLISS (Desmosport Ducati, Panigale FE) 57.822
5. Josh WATERS (Team Suzuki ECSTAR, GSXR-R1000R) 57.984
6. Jamie STAUFFER (Craig McMartin Racing, Ducati Panigale R) 58.081
7. Glenn ALLERTON (NextGen Motorsports, BMW S1000RR) 58.149
8. Bryan STARING (Kawasaki BCperformance, ZX-10R) 58.209
9. Michael BLAIR (Michael Blair Racing, Yamaha YZF-R1) 58.380
10. Matt WALTERS (Swann Insurance Superbike, Kawasaki ZX10R) 58.532